Coaching Events for Employers
Coaching events bring employers and skilled immigrants together in a relaxed and informal setting outside the context of an actual job interview. During the event, employers provide advice about resumes and job search strategies to help skilled immigrants more effectively navigate the local job market. In turn, the coaching helps employers develop a more diverse network of talent and expand their understanding of the skills and qualifications of newcomers to Canada. The coaching is also a valuable way for employers to practice and develop their own cross-cultural competency skills.
Benefits of Coaching:
- Immigrants gain valuable insight, advice and guidance from employers about job search strategies in their field
- Immigrants develop networking skills and become better prepared to seek employment
- Employers and immigrants broaden their sphere of networks
- Employers gain familiarity with the skills, qualifications and experiences of immigrant job seekers
How does it work?
- Each coaching event involves about 10 to 15 employer participants (e.g. HR managers or recruiting officers) from the same or similar sectors; the event is usually hosted at the workplace of a participating employer.
- Job-ready skilled immigrants (from the same sector) are invited to participate through the Ottawa Job Match Network.
- Each coaching event lasts about two hours.
- While flexible, the format is similar to speed-dating, with employer stations and skilled immigrants rotating from employer to employer every 10 minutes.
- Employers provide advice and guidance on sector-specific job search strategies.
How employers can get involved:
Coaching is a rewarding experience. To learn how you can get involved in a Coaching event, contact Lorena Costa, Manager, Employer Engagement: firstname.lastname@example.org or 613.228.6715